Friday 8 August 2014

Scarthin Book Shop, Derbyshire

I have a little recommendation today for anyone who might find themselves in Derbyshire and wondering what to do.

There's been a couple of posts in the past regarding my love of books. As an English Literature graduate, I'm a bit of a sucker for any kind of book shop. I love the new smell of Waterstones, and even when I see a sad cardboard box on the pavement filled with brown, battered books, I can't help but stop and take a look.

I've been to some amazing places around the world that would make some book lovers drool, like the El Ateneo book shop in Buenos Aires that is inside an old and glamorous theatre, and the Bosu-Dong book alley in Busan, South Korea where you could get lost for days if one of the precarious stacks of books toppled over.

I'm happy that Scarthin's equals these two places in quirky places to find your next read. Based in Cromford, just outside of Matlock, it is well worth a browse.

It is fit to bursting with old and new books, set out in tiny rooms that create a labyrinth of literary abandon. We went on a lovely sunny, Sunday afternoon, where they had the windows open and the breeze blew through the shop and fluttered the pages of all the books, as if they were trying to tempt you to pick them up. There were lots of comfy seats dotted around, encouraging you to have a rest and a read before you made any purchases.

I loved the fact that when I asked for a particular book, the guy working behind the till checked the new book database, but then told me he had absolutely no idea which second hand books had wormed their way onto the shelves!

The best thing about getting lost in the book shop is finding the vegan cafe that is hidden behind a book shelf and sells amazing blondies and Red Velvet cake.

I found a couple of things I plan to buy next time I go and it's payday, I loved the Chapters artwork, a chapter from a book formed into an image from the story, and this Wizard of Oz Craft Book.
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

Follow me...
fbbloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment